Managing the countryside can be challenging with this in mind there are various grants and incentives available to ease the burden also known as rural payments. Apply online using GOV.UK Verify to authenticate your identity via SecureIdentity.
Presently the services available in England are as follows:
- check and update your contact details
- check and update your business details
- give someone permission to act on your behalf
- check your registered land parcels and transfer them to another business
- check your Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) entitlements and transfer them to another business
One of the rural payments that is available is the Basic Payment Scheme. Here’s some information about it:
Basic Payment Scheme (BPS)
It’s been designed to keep farmers in active production.
This is available to farmers with at least 5 hectares of agricultural land and 5 ‘entitlements’. It’s open to farmers who claimed the old Single Payment Scheme. If you’re under 40 years old you might be entitled to extra money.
To be eligible certain criteria have to be met. For example, an arable farmer needs to grow 3 different crops and use 5% of the land in activities that are of benefit to the environment. BPS claimants also need to follow compliance rules.
Applications are made once a year typically in May with the first payments beginning in December.